TIMELINE OF ATTACKS ON BENUE STATE FROM 2013 – 2018 updated
- February 2013 Fulani Attacked Agatu burning several villages, including Inoli, Ologba, Olegeje, Olegogboche, Olegede, Adana, Inminy and Abugbe communities. 186 lives lost to butchery and gunshots. GEJ sent MOPOL to control the situation but they failed. Another attack followed in Agatu in the month of May 2013.
- April 23 2013. 10 farmers killed in an attack on Mbasenge community in Guma LGA by herdsmen. MOPOL deployed but could not control the situation.
- May 7, 2013.
47 mourners gunned down in Agatu while burying two policemen killed the Tuesday before in Nassarawa State.
- May 14, 2013.
Over 200 herdsmen surround Ekwo-Okpanchenyi, Agatu LGA killing 40 locals. Soldiers were deployed, leading to a brief calm before they left the community.
- July 5, 2013.
20 people were killed in a “conflict” between Tiv farmers & herdsmen at Nzorov, Guma LGA, Benue state. MOPOL deployed
- July 31 2013
Herdsmen invade 2 villages in Agatu LGA killing 8 villagers allegedly in retaliation for the killing of 112 cows as reprisals for earlier killings by herdsmen.
- November 7, 2013.
Attackers strike at Ikpele & Okpopolo communities killing 7 and displacing over 6000 inhabitants. MOPOL deployed again
- Nov 9, 2013.
36 locals killed and 7 villages overrun in an attack by herdsmen on locals in Agatu LGA. MOPOL deployed again
- Nov 20, 2013.
Attack on communities in Guma LGA, killing 22 locals and destroying properties worth millions of naira. Joint task force of Police and Army deployed, resulting in some calm
- Jan 20 2014.
Gunmen attack Agatu LGA, killing 5 soldiers and 7 civilians. More soldiers deployed, resulting in some calm
- Jan 20, 2014.
Attack on Adeke village. 3 dead. No deployment of forces
- 20-21 Feb 2014.
Herdsmen attack Gwer West LGA. 35 persons killed. 80,000 displaced. 6 Council Wards Sacked. Joint task force of Police and Army deployed, resulting in brief calm
- Feb 24, 2014.
Attack on a Tiv community along Naka road, Makurdi, killing 8 people. No deployment of forces
- March 6, 2014.
30 killed in Kwande, Katsina/Ala and Logo LGAs by attackers dressed in military uniforms. 6 villages sacked. MOPOL deployed
- March 12, 2014.
Raid on Ukpam village of Mbabaai in Guma LGA. 28 persons killed. Yam barns and farms burnt. MOPOL deployed
- March 10, 2014.
Former Governor Suswam’s convoy attacked by herdsmen at Umenger. He and convoy manage an escape. MOPOL deployed
- March 12, 2014.
Herdsmen attack Suswam’s village in Logo LGA. 22 slaughtered. Entire village sacked. Joint task force of Army and Police deployed
- March 23, 2014.
25 killed and over 50 injured by herdsmen said to be bearing sophisticated weapons in Gbajimba, Guma LGA. MOPOL deployed
- March 25, 2014.
Police recover 7 corpses following an attack on Agena village by Herdsmen.
- March 29, 2014.
Herdsmen attack 4 villages in Agatu LGA. 19 people killed, 15 others abducted. MOPOL deployed
- March 29, 2014.
Suspected use of chemical weapons on Shengev community in Gwer West LGA, leaving 15 people dead. MOPOL deployed
- March 30, 2014.
19 locals killed and 15 abducted in Agatu LGA. No deployment of forces
- April 10, 2014.
Over 100 herdsmen attacked 4 villages in Ukemberaga/Tswarev ward of Logo LG, 6 killed, Properties lost. MOPOL deployed
- April 15, 2014.
Attack on Obagaji, Headquarters of Agatu LGA, 12 youths killed. MOPOL deployed
- September 10, 2014.
Herdsmen attacked five villages in Ogbadibo LGA leaving scores dead. MOPOL deployed
- January 27, 2015.
17 persons killed in attacks on Abugbe, Okoklo, Ogwule & Ocholoyan in Agatu LGA by herdsmen. Joint task force of Army and Police deployed
- January 30, 2015.
Over 100 attackers stormed 5 villages in Logo LGA, killing 9 persons in the attack. MOPOL deployed
- March 15, 2015.
Egba village in Agatu LGA sacked by herdsmen, over 90 locals, including women and children killed. MOPOL deployed
- April 27, 2015.
28 persons killed by herdsmen in attack on 3 villages at Mbadwem, Guma LGA; houses and farmlands razed. MOPOL deployed
- May 11, 2015.
Ikyoawen community in Turan Kwande LGA invaded by herdsmen. 5 persons killed & 8 others wounded.
- May 24, 2015.
100 killed in an attack by herdsmen in villages &refugee camps at Ukura, Gafa, Per and Tse-Gusa, Logo LGA.
- July 7, 2015.
1 local killed and several others injured following an attack on mourners in Imande Bebeshi in Kwande LGA.
- November 5, 2015.
12 persons killed, 25 others injured in Buruku LGA following an attack by suspected herdsmen.
- Feb 8, 2016.
10 killed and over 300 displaced in clash between herdsmen and farmers at Tor-Anyiin and Tor-Ataan in Buruku LGA.
- Feb 21-24, 2016.
Over 500 locals killed and 7000 displaced in an attack on Agatu LGA by fulani herdsmen. Over 7 villages razed.
- March 9, 2016.
8 residents killed by herdsmen in attacks on Ngorukgan, Tse Chia, Deghkia and Nhumbe in Logo LGA.
- March 11, 2016.
Attack on Convoy of Senator David Mark by suspected herdsmen in Agatu LGA. No casualty recorded.
- March 13, 2016.
6 people including an APC youth leader killed by herdsmen in an attack on Tarkaa LGA. MOPOL deployed
- February 29, 2016
11 killed in Edugbeho Agatu LG including a police inspector. Joint task force of Army and Police deployed
- March 10, 2016
Two killed in attack on Obagaji Agatu.
- March 5, 2016
Houses burnt in Agatu. Security forces prevented killings.
- January 24, 2017:
15 persons were killed by rampaging Fulani herdsmen, who attacked farmers in Ipiga village in Ohimini Local Government Area of Benue State.
- March 2, 2017: No fewer than 10 persons were killed in a renewed hostility between herdsmen and farmers in Mbahimin community, Gwer East Local Government Area of Benue State.
- March 11, 2017: Seven people were killed when herdsmen attacked a Tiv community, Mkgovur village in Buruku local government area of Benue State.
- May 8: Three persons were confirmed killed by herdsmen in Tse-Akaa village, Ugondo Mbamar District of Logo Local Government Area of Benue State.
- May 13, 2017: Less than one week after many people were killed by herdsmen in three communities of Logo Local Government Area of Benue State, armed herders struck again on May 13 killing eight more people.
- December 31, 2017 and January 2, 2018: 50 persons including seven members of the Benue State Livestock Guards have been killed in fresh attacks on Benue communities by suspected Fulani herdsmen after they invaded Gaambe-Tiev, Ayilamo and Turan all in Logo LGA as well as Umenger, Tse-Akor and Tomatar near Tse-Abi in Nongov District of Guma LGA.